Helpdesk Support Technician
Department: Information Technology (IT)
Location: Greenbush, MN (onsite)
Reports to: IT Manager
Number of Positions: 1
Position Type: Full-Time
Schedule (may change based on business needs): 8-5 pm
As a Helpdesk Support Technician, you are responsible for providing technical assistance with computer systems, hardware, and software. You are responsible for responding to email, chat, or phone queries and offering technical support to employees using company computer systems, hardware, and software. You will ask appropriate questions and use knowledge and resources to diagnose and resolve their issues. You will escalate issues that extend beyond the levels of your span of control. You will assist in the creation of a help system including a knowledge base comprised of resolved issues and application manuals.
You should be well-versed in all aspects of computer systems configuration, set up, and maintenance. You should have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Must be able to…
- Manage Help Desk issues in a timely manner.
- Respond to queries on the phone, via email, in person, or through remote access to provide users assistance.
- Offer technical assistance on the delivery, configuration, set up, maintenance, and troubleshooting of computer systems, hardware, and software.
- Document user interactions and resolutions.
- Run diagnostics to resolve user reported issues.
- Escalate issues to the next Tier with next level of difficulty.
- Install, configure, and repair computer hardware and software.
- Follow-up with users to ensure issues are resolved.
- Train computer users.
- Train other staff on troubleshooting and diagnosing problems.
- Gather feedback from users to improve training methods.
- Write and maintain training manuals, triage processes, procedure manuals, and issue-resolutions.
- Run reports and analyze common complaints and problems.
- Suggest improvements on procedures, tools, etc.
Other Typical Tasks include support of Network Administration & Infrastructure…
- Examining, checking, and mending equipment failure of hardware systems and connecting components.
- Repair computer equipment and related devices when damage has occurred.
- Run tests on the equipment afterwards to ensure it's working effectively before returning it to the user.
- Assist in network installation and configuration.
- Configure user accounts, security, and resources.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- A strong working knowledge of computer systems, hardware, and software.
- Strong writing skills needed for creation of documentation.
- Demonstrate a love for technology
- Proficiency with Windows/MAC Operating Systems.
- Ability to diagnose and resolve basic computer technical issues.
- Customer-oriented and patient.
- Detail oriented with ability to keep detailed notes on issues and resolutions.
- Highly organized to keep issues in order.
- Good problem-solving, analytical, and team-working skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- An openness to learning new technologies.
- Quality and continuous improvement focus.
- The ability to keep abreast with the latest advancements in technology and techniques.
- Ability to travel to Central Boiler locations (Greenbush, MN, Red Lake Falls, MN) as needed
Preferred Qualifications/Selection Criteria:
- An Associate's degree in computer science or related field.
- 2+ years of experience working in a help desk environment
- Experience and/or a strong interest in working in IT for manufacturing
Physical Requirements such as below:
- Physical requirements include sitting, walking, and reading.
- Generally, spend the workday sitting at a workstation and operating computer devices, such as, but not limited to keyboard, mouse and screen
- Must be able to lift 50lbs on occasion.
- Generally, spend the workday performing repetitive motions that involve or affect the hands and head.