Machine Shop Manager
Machine Shop Manager
Location: Greenbush (Onsite)
Reports to: Director, Operations
Number of Positions: 1
Position Type: Full-Time
Schedule (may change based on business needs): 8-5pm
The Manager, Machine Shop is responsible for the leadership and management of machinist and fabrication personnel and associated processes and equipment used to produce components for our products. You will oversee the day-to-day operations of the Machine Shop, through long-term machine selections, capacity forecasting to support new product launches, consumables monitoring, as well as R&D efforts. You will be engaged in oversight of the machining of work pieces, the application of knowledge of machine shop procedures, machine tool setup and operating techniques, and production machining methods. You will be a hands-on manager experienced in working in a quick turn prototype environment where engagement across multiple departments is required to achieve Machine Shop production goals. You will blend your technical capabilities with essential managerial tactics to deliver parts on time. You have a drive for continuous improvement of our quality and motivate the team to generate ideas for improvements.
Must be able to…
- Oversee day to day operations of onsite machine shop which consists of automated laser cutters, turret punches, CNC milling, CNC lathe, sheet metal forming press brakes.
- Manage shop personnel to include developing goals, conducting performance reviews, developing salary plans, approving weekly time-cards, hiring and interviewing personnel, and managing performance issues.
- Schedule the daily work and forecast long-term needs for the machine shop personnel
- Manage machine programmers to deliver proven programs
- Manage machinists and machine operators and be able to assist problem solving in-run dilemmas
- Receive and organize new shop tasking and develop schedules including setting daily priorities and promoting overall shop efficiency.
- Review blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample parts to determine material requirements needed to produce parts. Partner with the Materials Manager to order consumable inventory ensuring adequate stock levels are on hand to support production.
- Plan and schedule jobs in the machine shop to meet critical production dates and adjust accordingly based on customer driven changes.
- Drive a positive safety culture with the belief that all injuries can be prevented.
- Provide written reporting to management on shop production status against due dates.
- Responsible for overseeing daily maintenance and external preventative maintenance of all Machine Shop equipment.
- Develop tool tracking system and associated purchasing system to minimize tool costs
- Forecast long-term equipment and capacity needs against technology benefits; makes recommendations to the Director, Operations for replacement of shop equipment and tooling
- Engage with Engineering on new product development to make the final components manufacturable in a reasonable time frame and cost.
- Perform Root Cause Analysis (8D, 5 Why’s, etc)
- Define and establish the tools and processes necessary to measure OTD and Quality metrics within the ERP environment from the ground up.
- Work with program management and ME’s to develop a demand driven production schedule
- Work with Operations and Engineering teams to develop streamlined processes and tools to support high rate production and fast responses
- Produce daily and monthly metrics/KPI’s relative to Safety, Quality, Equipment, Productivity and Cost.
- General Responsibilities
- Provide direct leadership & management to the quality functions including general work direction of both salaried and hourly employees.
- Develop objectives, measures, and complete performance appraisals for direct reports.
- Hands on coaching and mentoring of direct reports to promote individual and team growth.
- Establishes and maintains a program to train and improve technical skills of shop personnel promoting career development while simultaneously reducing single points of failure in shop processes/operations.
- Ensures team members work in a safe environment and comply with all company safety policies.
- Keeps the Director, Operations informed daily of operational efficiencies and potential problems which may affect the ability to successfully perform assignments or adversely affect the Company operations.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study or 7+ years’ of progressive experience in manufacturing industry
- 3+ years of related leadership experience in a production facility, preferably in a machine shop managing teams of 5+ employees.
- CNC programming knowledge, as well as equipment troubleshooting knowledge.
- Ability to program, set-up and operate CNC machines
- Strong understanding of machine shop processes, programming and part set up.
- Knowledge of G and M codes, ability to edit programs as needed
- Solidworks or equivalent Cad experience
- Read and interpret blueprints
- Ability to utilize precision inspection equipment/tools such as calipers, micrometers, bore gages etc. as well as shop support equipment, saws, sanders, grinders, etc.
- Knowledge of related machine tooling
- Superior team leadership and interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact across all levels of the organization, while accomplish organizational goals
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, strong capability to analyze highly technical problems and come up with viable solutions
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to coach and motivate employees; creating an environment that fosters continuous improvement and teamwork
- Strong working knowledge of Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations
- Ability to work in fast paced JIT (just-in-time) manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated expertise in process management to ensure production efficiency
- Relentless determination and courage to make things happen; strong execution skills; results-oriented
- Ability to respond quickly to changing demands, processes, and updated information
- Established courses of action for self and/or others to accomplish specific planning goals
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Ability to travel to multiple facility locations (e.g. Red Lake Falls, Greenbush)
Physical Requirements such as below:
- Physical requirements include: sitting, squatting, walking, reaching out to arm’s length, reaching over-head, lifting between 50 – 100 pounds and reading
- Generally spend the workday sitting at a workstation and operating computer devices, such as, but not limited to keyboard, mouse and screen
- Generally spend the workday performing repetitive motions that involve or affect the hands, head, and other parts of your body
Preferred Qualifications/Selection Criteria:
- Experience leading Machine Shop transformations
- Managed/led build out of or implementation of new machine shops
- Experience with laser cutting, turret punches, press brakes
- Experience with robotic manipulators
- Experience with CNC milling machines