Manager - Maintenance
Location: Greenbush (onsite)
Reports to: VP, Operations
Number of Positions: 1
Position Type: Full-Time
The Manager, Maintenance will drive and support the maintenance department. You will be responsible for leading and managing direct reports, scheduling equipment downtime, creating/maintaining critical spare parts inventory, utilizing maintenance management software (MMS), and managing the overall maintenance program for all Central Boiler facilities; ensuring safe and efficient operations of all maintenance activities. This position maximizes efficiency and availability of all resources and equipment while ensuring compliance with safety, environmental sanitation and applicable requirements.
Must be able to:
- Develop and organize preventive maintenance and safety inspection programs for all facilities and equipment.
- Collaborate with plant leadership and departments related to planning, organizing and prioritizing plant projects and priorities, including scheduling and planning projects and planned maintenance in coordination with production scheduling as well as ensuring timeliness of repairs.
- Drive a positive safety culture with the belief that all injuries can be prevented
- Review and define procedures, evaluate and optimize maintenance routines.
- Analyze maintenance work requests and break them down into manageable maintenance tasks.
- Monitor maintenance work backlog and plans work by determining how small, medium, large of a fix it is (e.g. time, people, equipment) and what needs to be done first, 2nd, 3rd, etc. in the plant and developing work plans/orders and lists of needed components.
- Establish schedules and methods for providing facility maintenance services; identifies resource needs.
- Monitor and control supplies and equipment; order supplies and tools as necessary. Maintain the inventory of tools, common-use equipment, and spare parts.
- Participate in the development of the Master Plan for the site and formalize the annual investment plan with the Company and Operations leadership.
- Assist team members in diagnosing malfunctions in machinery and equipment based on observations of machinery and applying knowledge from past experience.
- Maintain awareness of new trends and developments in the field of facility maintenance and incorporate new developments as appropriate into programs; Make recommendations for changes and improvements to existing standards, policies and procedures.
- Submit budget recommendations; monitors expenditures; prepares cost estimates; submits justifications for equipment; monitors budget expenditures.
- Prepare documents for equipment specification and procurement.
- Monitor maintenance work activities to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures; ensures data and systems are updated accordingly.
- Coordinate with contractors in providing contract services.
- General Responsibilities
- Provide direct leadership & management to the maintenance function including general work direction of both salaried and hourly employees.
- Develop objectives, measures, and complete performance appraisals for direct reports.
- Hands on coaching and mentoring of direct reports to promote individual and team growth.
- Establishes and maintains a program to train and improve technical skills of maintenance personnel promoting career development while simultaneously reducing single points of failure in maintenance processes/operations.
- Ensures team members work in a safe environment and comply with all company safety policies.
- Keeps the VP, Operations informed daily of operational efficiencies and potential problems which may affect the ability to successfully perform assignments or adversely affect the Company operations.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a maintenance specialty area
- In lieu of a Bachelor’s degree, requires an Associate’s Degree or Journeyman Certification with a minimum of 5 years of previous experience in the area of facilities maintenance, planning and leadership experience is required
- 7+ years of previous experience in the area of facilities maintenance
- 5+ years leadership experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the following:
- Construction of buildings and systems including those used in performing rough and finished carpentry, plumbing, heating, electrical, mechanical, and painting work
- Construction and project management principles, including the ability to read and understand construction drawings, plans and specifications
- AutoCAD, Rockwell Automation software or SAP experience is a plus
- Materials, methods, terminology, equipment and tools used in the maintenance of industrial equipment
- Basic principles and practices of budget preparation and administration and develop cost estimates for supplies and equipment
- Superior team leadership and interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact across all levels of the organization, while accomplish organizational goals
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, strong capability to analyze highly technical problems and come up with viable solutions
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to coach and motivate employees; creating an environment that fosters continuous improvement and teamwork
- Strong working knowledge of Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations as well as pertinent local and state laws, ordinances, codes and rules
- Ability to work in fast paced JIT (just-in-time) manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated expertise in process management to ensure production efficiency
- Relentless determination and courage to make things happen; strong execution skills; results-oriented
- Ability to respond quickly to changing demands, processes, and updated information
- Established courses of action for self and/or others to accomplish specific planning goals
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Ability to travel to multiple facility locations (e.g. Red Lake Falls, Greenbush)
Physical Requirements such as below:
- Physical requirements include: sitting, squatting, walking, reaching out to arm’s length, reaching over-head and lifting between 50 – 100 pounds and reading
- Generally spend the workday sitting at a workstation and operating computer devices, such as, but not limited to keyboard, mouse and screen
- Generally spend the workday performing repetitive motions that involve or affect the hands, head, and other parts of your body
Preferred Qualifications/Selection Criteria:
- Industry (wood burning stove, outdoor power equipment) experience